Movember is Men’s Health Month
The state of men’s health is in crisis. Men experience worse longer-term health than women and die on average six years earlier.
- 1 in 6 men may be diagnosed with prostate cancer, and 1 in 2 men may be diagnosed with some form of cancer by the age of 85.
- Prostate cancer rates will double in the next 15 years.
- Testicular cancer rates have already doubled in the last 50 years.
- Obesity has taken centre stage as a major risk factor for chronic disease and almost 2/3 of Canadians are considered to be overweight or obese.
- 1 in 8 men experience depression and three quarters of suicides are men.
- Poor mental health leads to half a million men taking their own life every year. That’s one every minute.